Why is Enstilar So Expensive?
Psoriasis is a chronic autoimmune condition that affects millions of people worldwide. One of the medications used to treat psoriasis is Enstilar, a combination of two active ingredients: betamethasone dipropionate and calcipotriene. While Enstilar can be effective in managing psoriasis symptoms, many patients may find it difficult to access due to its high cost.
In this article, we will explore why Enstilar is so expensive, how it compares to other psoriasis treatments, and what options may be available for patients seeking more affordable options.
Why Is Enstilar So Expensive?
There are several factors that contribute to the high cost of Enstilar. These include:
- Research and Development Costs: Developing a new medication is a long and expensive process. Pharmaceutical companies invest billions of dollars in research and development to bring new medications to market. These costs are often passed on to consumers in the form of higher prices.
- Manufacturing Costs: The manufacturing process for Enstilar is complex and requires specialized equipment and expertise. These costs are also factored into the final price of the medication.
- Marketing and Advertising Costs: Pharmaceutical companies spend millions of dollars each year to promote their products to healthcare professionals and patients. These costs are also factored into the final price of the medication.
- Patent Protection: Enstilar is protected by a patent, which gives the manufacturer exclusive rights to produce and sell the medication for a certain period of time. During this time, the manufacturer can set the price at whatever level they choose, without competition from generic alternatives.
How Does Enstilar Compare to Other Psoriasis Treatments?
Enstilar is just one of many medications used to treat psoriasis. Other options include:
- Topical Steroids: Topical steroids are a common treatment for mild to moderate psoriasis. They are typically less expensive than Enstilar and can be just as effective for some patients.
- Topical Vitamin D Analogues: Calcipotriene, one of the active ingredients in Enstilar, is also available as a standalone medication. It is generally less expensive than Enstilar and can be effective for some patients.
- Biologics: Biologics are a newer class of medication that target specific parts of the immune system. They are typically more expensive than Enstilar and may be reserved for patients with more severe psoriasis.
- Systemic Medications: Systemic medications are taken orally or by injection and can be effective for patients with moderate to severe psoriasis. They are often more expensive than Enstilar and may have more side effects.
What Options Are Available for Patients Seeking More Affordable Treatment?
If Enstilar is too expensive for you, there may be other options available. These include:
- Generic Alternatives: While Enstilar is currently protected by a patent, a generic version of the medication may become available once the patent expires. This can significantly reduce the cost of the medication.
- Patient Assistance Programs: Many pharmaceutical companies offer patient assistance programs that can provide financial assistance to patients who cannot afford their medications. These programs may include discounts, coupons, or even free medication.
- Prescription Discount Cards: Prescription discount cards can help reduce the cost of medications for uninsured or underinsured patients. These cards can be obtained online or through healthcare providers.
- Medicaid or Medicare: Patients who qualify for Medicaid or Medicare may be eligible for coverage of Enstilar or other psoriasis medications. It’s important to check with your healthcare provider or insurance company to see if you qualify.
- Talk to Your Doctor: Your doctor may be able to prescribe a different medication that is more affordable for you. They may also be able to help you find patient assistance programs or other resources to help cover the cost of your medication.
How Much Does Enstilar Cost with Insurance?
The cost of Enstilar with insurance can vary depending on your specific plan. Some insurance plans cover Enstilar, while others may not. Even if your plan does cover Enstilar, you may still have to pay a copay or coinsurance. The amount you will pay depends on your insurance plan and the pharmacy you use.
To get an idea of how much Enstilar will cost with insurance, you can contact your insurance provider or pharmacy. They can provide you with a cost estimate based on your specific plan. Be sure to ask about any copays or coinsurance you may have to pay.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is Enstilar covered by insurance?
Enstilar may be covered by some insurance plans, but coverage can vary depending on the individual plan and the patient’s specific circumstances. It’s important to check with your insurance company to see if Enstilar is covered and what your out-of-pocket costs may be.
How much does Enstilar cost?
The cost of Enstilar can vary depending on where you purchase it and whether or not you have insurance coverage. Without insurance, Enstilar can cost several hundred dollars for a single tube. With insurance, the cost may be significantly lower, but patients may still face high out-of-pocket costs.
Are there any side effects of Enstilar?
Like all medications, Enstilar can cause side effects. The most common side effects include itching, burning, and redness at the application site. In rare cases, Enstilar can also cause more serious side effects, such as skin thinning or changes in skin color. It’s important to talk to your doctor about any concerns you may have about the side effects of Enstilar.
Enstilar is an effective medication used to treat psoriasis, but its high cost can make it difficult for some patients to access.
The high cost of Enstilar is due to several factors, including research and development costs, manufacturing costs, and marketing and advertising costs.
While Enstilar may be the best option for some patients, there are other options available, including generic alternatives, patient assistance programs, and prescription discount cards.
It’s important to talk to your doctor about your options for psoriasis treatment and to work together to find a treatment plan that is effective and affordable for you.
Last Updated on September 9, 2023